10.31.2011

Review: Clarisonic Mia

Let me preface this review by saying that I have relatively healthy skin.  I've never had acne or breakouts and the worst I get is pretty much a pimple or two around that time of the month.  But, my skin is really thin and sensitive.  I get allergic reactions at times, like redness, swelling and itchiness.  Also, my skin doesn't scar well.  I have several scars of past pimples on my chin and nose.  I also have enlarged pores on my nose, which gets really oily during the day, as opposed to my forehead and cheeks, which can be very dry and prone to flaking.  That being said, I would consider my skin to be soft and healthy-looking.

I purchased the Clarisonic Mia because I wanted two things: 1) to reduce the size of my pores on my nose and help with blackheads and 2) to have something so expensive that I would have no choice but to clean and remove my makeup every night.

I can assure you that my Mia has helped with those things.  Along with Biore strips, the Mia got rid of most of my blackheads and has definitely reduced their appearance.  As for the skincare routine, I went to bed with my makeup on only once for the past three weeks I've been using it.  And I was the worst offender when it comes to removing makeup.  I would NEVER remove it.  Ever.  

Now, it is pricey, I believe mine was 140 $CAD at Sephora.  I wanted to order it online because it came with different cleansers, but unfortunately, Sephora doesn't ship any Clarisonic merchandise to Canada for customs clearance reasons I believe.  It comes with a sensitive brush head and a sample of their gentle hydro cleanser for all/sensitive skin (30 ml). 



Pictured : Clarisonic Mia in white with sensitive brush (around 140 $CAD at Sephora)

The small two holes you see at the bottom of the handle connect with the charger (not pictured).  The charger is magnetic so it sticks with your Mia easily.  On the back of your handle, there is a green light.  When it is charging or it needs to be charged it flashes; and when it's lit, it means your Mia is charged and ready to be used.

When I first bought it, I was really disappointed to learn that it needed to charge for 24 hours before I could use it.  But it's  often the case with most electronic devices, in order to maximize the battery life.  About 18 hours after charging it showed that it was fully charged, but I waited the whole 24 hours just to be sure.

The Mia runs for 20 minutes.  It doesn't seem a lot, but it is.  You're supposed to use it for one minute each time and it automatically stops after one minute.  You can always start it again if one minute wasn't enough, but I find - with my sensitive skin - that using it for more than 60 seconds is way too much for me.

It is waterproof, so you can definitely use it in the shower or in your bath, which is awesome, especially if you're using a body brush head.

I use the Mia before going to bed, after removing my eye makeup.  Even with the sensitive brush, this device is not intended to be used on the eyes, so you definitely need to remove your eye makeup separately and preferably beforehand.  It's pretty simple, you just need to dab a little bit of cleanser on it and turn it on.  You cannot use a cleanser that has exfoliating beads in it, as it can damage the mechanism.  You also need to clean the brush every ten days or so, and as you can see below, it can be removed from the handle.



Pictured : Sensitive brush head

The brush needs to be replaced every three to four months, depending on your usage.  I've read several other reviews where people have mentioned keeping the same brush head for six months, so it really depends on how much makeup and cleanser you're using and the texture of your skin.  A brush head retails for around 25 $CAD and you can order them directly on the Clarisonic website.  

So far, I've only tried the sensitive brush head but I can already tell that other brush heads would be way too harsh for my skin.  If you're prone to feelings of tightness or itchiness, I wouldn't recommend going with another brush head.


Pictured: Clarisonic Gentle Hydro Cleanser for All/Sensitive Skin (30 ml; full size 180 ml retails for around 25 $CAD)

As for the cleanser, I wouldn't recommend it at all.  I'm currently using it and it's doing an okay job but I'm definitely not going to repurchase.  I like cleansers that lather and this absolutely doesn't.  I have read several other reviews that mention that you need to use a very gentle cleanser with the Mia.  Since the Mia cleanses so well on its own, if you use a product that's too harsh, you'll have an adverse reaction.

A lot of people have been recommending Purity by Philosophy and I'm definitely going to try this one out and review it (well, as soon as the no buy ends anyway).

The only downside - and is it really a downside? - to this product is that you definitely need to moisturize after using it.  It leaves the skin really tight and dry because it deeply cleans it.  I personally use extra virgin olive oil as a night moisturizer, to which I add vanilla extract to leave a more pleasant smell.

Buying the Clarisonic vs the Mia?  The Mia is cheaper, lighter and instead of having a cradle to charge it has a magnetic charger which is helpful if you don't have a lot of space in your bathroom (like I do).  The brush head is exactly the same size for the two products so I really don't see why people purchase the original Clarisonic.  Its only advantage?  It keeps its charge longer.  But that's about it.
 
I fully believe this product is worth its price.  It has become a staple in my skincare routine and really helps getting a smooth and even skin.  It removed the dry spots I often had on my forehead and cheeks and visibly reduced the appearances of my enlarged pores.  It gave me an almost perfect canvas for my foundation.  I have also noticed that my makeup is applying more easily than before, a claim that I was very doubtful of prior to using my Mia.

I have to say that I did lend it to my mother once, so she could try it out, and she didn't like the results enough to purchase one.  So all in all, it really is a personal thing.  Because of its price, I recommend purchasing your Clarisonic somewhere you can return it easily, just in case.

xoxo, MiMu


No comments:

Post a Comment