12.20.2011

An Eyeliner Story: 5 black eye liners compared

Receiving the NYX eyeliner in my December Luxe Box made me wonder how it compared to the other black eyeliners I currently have.


From left to right you can see : NYX Pencil Eyeliner, Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen, Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner, L'Oréal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Liner and MAC Fluidline Gel Liner.  Obviously, they're all black. 

Obviously, the NYX pencil is the easiest to use, it takes the least amount of practice to achieve the desired results because well, we all know how to draw.  You would think that the liquid eye pen from Revlon would be really easy to use as well... wrong.  It's such a mess.  There's either too much or too little product on the tip and it's just a mess to apply, you'll see from the swatches was I mean.

The two liquid liners do take some practice to apply but once you master it it's pretty easy. The L'Oréal one has a felt tip which makes it so much easier to master, so if you're looking into buying your first eyeliner I'd get this one, it does an okay job and it's pretty cheap.  I do find though that the Revlon liquid liner is the best liquid liner in the drugstore category.  The tip is kinda small though so it's a little harder to get straight long lines.  

Finally there's the MAC Fluidline that I've already reviewed here.  The highlight?  Amazing staying power, the best I've seen for a liner. 

Now onto the swatches...


From left to right in case you didn't remember : NYX Pencil Eyeliner, Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen, Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner, L'Oréal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Liner and MAC Fluidline Gel Liner.

The NYX pencil is a deep matte black with a smudgeable consistency.  Great pigmentation there as you can see.

See what I told you about the Liquid Eye Pen from Revlon?  It looks brown - not black - very watery and it was hard to get an even color on my arm so you can imagine how bad it is on your lid? Do not buy, absolute waste of money.

The Revlon liquid liner is a lot more pigmented than you see on the picture.  The only issue with this liner is that the hardness of the tip makes it kind of a pain in the butt to layer.  The first swipe is ok, but then the hardness of the tip scratches the color from the first swipe and you need to do it over... so yeah definitely a product that you need to master.  But once that's done, you can get great results from it.

The fourth one, the L'Oréal Lineur Intense is very pigmented as well but it has shimmer in it, which I'm not too fond of for a liner.  But that aside, it's a great liner and very easy to use like I said before.

The MAC fluid line also has a matte finish and it's very easy to smudge as well.  It's my daily liner and has the most staying power out of all the liners I've tried.  


So that's about it!  What are your favorite brands of eyeliner?  I want to try the UD 24/7 ones and the Bobbi Brown gel liners because I've heard great things from them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment