1.27.2012

January Glymm Box Review

I finally received my Glymm box (thanks Canada Post) after it going back and forth between Montreal and Richmond.  

The thing with delays with the post is that you're left restless - very anxious to receive your goodies.  So when I opened my box, my expectations were higher than usual, because I had been waiting for that baby for like 10 days.  

Needless to say, I was a *little* disappointed.
Added after writing full review : In the end, I'm pretty excited about two of the five products in the box so saying I'm disappointed is a little harsh!  


The first thing I noticed - and many people did too - was ''but where are my jelly beans?''.  I loooove Jelly Bellys and I always ate them while opening my box and have kept all the little jars for storage - they're great for bobby pins or to carry Advil in your purse ;).  I've read somewhere that Glymm had problems with jars breaking in the shipping process so they're trying to figure out another way to send them.  I hope that's the case, because that was really one of the elements that differentiate them from Luxe Box.

The box contained 5 items + a coupon for a free RMS lip shine if you order something on the Glymm store.  Because I had already placed an order on the Glymm store about a week ago, there is currently nothing I'm feeling like purchasing, so I'll probably skip on that offer.  Still very nice of them though. :)


The first product I noticed was the brow gel.  Now this is a product I would be REALLY excited about if I was the average women.  Shaped brows can do wonders for your face structure, slimming your features and enhancing your eyes in a very natural way.  

But I'm not the average women in regards to my brows.  I have LOTS of other features that need enhancing, but brows isn't one of them because I was blessed with naturally nicely shaped brows.  But I'll say it again... GREAT product and GREAT idea to put it out there.

The other item I normally would be super excited about is the Kara facial cloth.  I love facial cloths that you can use as makeup removers (see my previous rave about the Neutrogena ones).  Why am I not as excited about this product as I should be?  It's only one cloth, which hardly gives me enough product to figure out whether I like it or not.  For these types of product, I feel 3 cloths would have been better to evaluate the general quality of the product.  I'll review that one for sure when I get around to trying it for removal of a full face of makeup.


One of the other three items is the Vasanti cleanser, which has micro crystals in it.  My usual cleansing routine is done with my Clarisonic and you can't use cleansers with micro beads in them because they can damage the mechanism of your Clarisonic.  So yeah, it might be nice and everything, but again, that's not something I can include in my daily routine.  

Then there's the Burt's Bees nourishing body lotion with milk and honey.  I looove Burt's Bees product, as I use my cuticle balm regularly for manicures.  I can't wait to use that lotion when I get out of the shower.  Plus, this product is really one that I would definitely repurchase if I end up loving it because it's easily accessible.

Lastly, we have another black pencil.  Loose Button had a black pencil in its December box and now Glymm has one in their January box.  Like I said for my Luxe Box review, I really wish they had picked a color more original that just plain old black.


Here is a little follow up on my black eyeliner swatch post, where you can see the Cargo black eyeliner.  This time I sticked to pencil eyeliners for greater comparability.

The one on the left is the Cargo pencil and it's a really matte black with no glossy or shimmery finish at all.  I noticed that the pencil was a lot harder than the other two so while it will give a greater staying power, it's virtually unsmudgeable so forget using it for a smokey eye.

In the center I've used the NYX pencil I've received in last's month Luxe box.  Out of the three this has the glossiest finish.  Texture-wise it's a lot softer than Cargo's pencil, but not as creamy as the one on the right, which is UD 24/7 eyeliner pencil in Zero.  

The UD 24/7 pencil is really easy to work with for smudging and glides like a charm on the skin.  The only downside is that you need to have your sharpener with you at all times because of its creaminess.  


So yeah, all in all, a good month, that has been a little bit darkened by my adventures with Canada Post, but that's not Glymm's fault at all.  I looked around for reviews (after I had received my box of course) and it seems everybody got the same box this month.  I still think it's well worth the 10$ a month, especially when you factor in the points awarded for reviews and purchases and the availability of certain high quality products on their online store.  I'll definitely stay a customer for a while :).

If you'd like to register for a Glymm box, here's my referral link.  Disclaimer : I do get 50 points to redeem on their store if you use my referral link to subscribe so if that's not your thing, you can subscribe by going directly on Glymm's website here.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you finually got your glymm box.
    Theres a new box in Canada called
    Glossybox

    http://beauty.glossybox.ca/invitation/MTE0?utm_source=Customers&utm_medium=link&utm_term=MTE0&utm_campaign=Refer-a-friend/

    So many boxs... fun to get them in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh it does seem nice indeed. I think 15$/a month is still a little expensive though. I'm probably going to stalk what the boxes look like for a while and trade up eventually if I prefer them to either one of the subscription services I currently use! But thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thats what I have done. I gave up 2 of the Beauty Boxs. Now I only have the 2.
    There are 4 on the market now... Loose Buttons,Glymm,Topbox and now Glossybox.

    So many choices now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I wouldn't subsribe to all of them. From what I've seen of Topbox so far I'm not that interested so that settles it for me (at least!).

    ReplyDelete